Monday, March 20, 2006

Mixed ??????????????????


British Mother, Arab Father, a whole lot of confusion, feelings and emotions.
I am a mixed race 26 year old. My father is Arab, so I therefore have Arab genes and my mother is from the UK, which is where I was brought up and educated. I often find that when I am in the UK that I am treated and looked upon as an Arab or a foreigner, as is when I am in the Arab world, I am looked at as a foreigner due to my features and overall look. So often feel lost, and fit in nowhere. I therefore consider myself a citizen of the universe. Jumping from one place to another, with the aim of picking up the best of both worlds or cultures, picking and selecting the traits and behaviors of what I would consider to be a healthy mix of both Arab and Western life.Being mixed is confusing, not only to me but to others, some may say that I am Arab and have got a British passport; some may say that I am British trying to be Arab. I am basically just trying to be me, which is hard, I want to be everything and nothing to everyone, I am a Muslim, but a Muslim that was brought up in the UK, that in itself is a fight, a worthy fight in the name of Allah, none the less a battle trying to explain to other Europeans, why I can and cant do certain things. I am just jumping from one zone, attitude, language and barrier after the other all the time. I would just like to say having to cultures from two different ethnical backgrounds (parents) is confusing but also very interesting, I wouldn’t swap it for anything. I also look forward to sharing my experiences with my wife-Inshallah