Sunday, August 13, 2006

Happiness

What are you looking for, an idealism, a place to fit in, happiness- well in the world we live in today, these concepts are hard to define, what is happiness, is it a state of mind, how long can it last for. We have so many emotions and so many options, that we probably no longer know what we want, it keeps changing, and as soon as you think you know what it is you want, your bombarded with another set of options, that all come with their own obstacles,. What am I on about? Well recently my close cousin asked me if this was it, was this what life had to offer. Now let me explain a little about her. She is this funky, fun living urban girl, who to some may have a lot, she is good looking (that will get me some brownie points), she is smart, has a good job, a nice car, and a great family that love her to bits. But, and here is the But… she’s looking for more. More of what, well we don’t know, but what we do know is that their must be more, more fun, more excitement, more experiences.

We are the same, we are constantly looking for the next high, to be honest we are lucky in the sense that we both have the ability to make friends easier than most, we both have been lucky in the sense that we have traveled a lot and seen many great sights, we were privileged in that we were brought up in London where we both completed our studies. But we still are not satisfied. We are ambitious, but as soon as we reach our goals, we suddenly don’t care for it anymore. We try to tell ourselves, Ilhamduillah, but we still always want more, and sometimes seep into this sorrow state of feeling sorry for ourselves. We understand that there are wars going on around the world, and that there are children without food, but none the less we feel sad, and wish we had done more with our life.

If you look for Happiness, you will never find it. That has been said many times over. Does happiness come when you’re a father, mother or grandparent? I can’t wait that long. I want it now. I want instant happiness. And it does happen, Ill be driving and thinking about all that I have. I am not rich, but I have most things and more, I don’t live in an amazing villa, but I have a bed and nice things surrounding me, I don’t have a rolls Royce, but I have a nice car that works, and takes me to nice places, and I say to myself, wow- I am lucky, Why would I want more, is it human nature to want more all the time.

I want to tell my cousin to just take it easy, to relax and let life unfold on its own, as it always does; Allah protects and guides us in every way. He never presents a situation that we are unable to deal with. Allah always knows what is best, and if it is supposed to be- then it will be.

The nicest and most meaningful things my cousin ever said to me was a very wise and passionate little tale. I was sad about someone close to me leaving, and she said to me, you know Omar, every person that comes into your life, is their for a reason, to teach you, to show you, to make you realize something, and you for them, they are their for a certain reason, for a certain time, and when they go, you shouldn’t feel sad, or pain, or cheated, or even angry, even if it was a relationship or a short term affair, that situation has happened for a reason, and people go and come all the time, into one anothers life.

This is a lot to take on board, but its true when they say you can’t plan love, or friendships, they just happen, and suddenly bring you happiness and vice versa, pain. We need pain, otherwise how would we appreciate happiness, or joy. The sweet is never as sweet unless you have tasted the sour.

To my dear cousin, your great, don’t be sad, you have so many great things coming your way, always live with hope, what’s around the corner, we will never know, but it could change everything.

Miss you so much. By the way I am far to tired to do a spell check so please ignore the mistakes.