Saturday, March 17, 2007

the 80's


It happened, I have finally got the urge to write again. As many of you know, my job is mainly writing, but for some reason unknown to me, I recently had a block, I just couldn’t make the effort to start penning anything down. Well, I just had the Ipod on shuffle and what comes on, no other but Allison Moyet, for those of you who have not heard of Allison, she is basically a very famous singer from the 80’s who had a number of hits and I suddenly wanted to write, so here I am, firstly let me start by asking you, have you ever had a feeling of belonging or attraction to a certain place, feeling, group, or even time. I do, I feel so attracted to the 80’s in the sense that when I hear the music, beat and tone of 80’s music, it just conjures up thoughts of myself in London, of clubbing, late nights out at university and the weird thing is, when I did all that, it was well into the late 90’s. So why the attraction, could it be that I like what the 80’s stand for, freedom of self expression, the 80’s at it all, great music, fantastically over exaggerated clothes, even a strongly conservative government headed by none other than Margaret Thatcher, AKA woman of steel.

This summer I saw a strong comeback of tight jeans, narrow shoes, and baggy tops hit the streets like a plague. Have we tried everything, and now on the recycle trail. Have we no more ideas that we have to start digging up old trends and styles. I think the 80’s was a time for woman to start to progress and start to take on the big men, weather that be in government or even in the office. In came the working mothers, the suvs, even working from home. The 90’s was a more polished state, we had a national depression, what with the recession, high unemployment and a high crime rate. Back to the 80’s, underground clubs, drugs and babysham.

Anyway my attachment to the 80’s continues with admiration to the era of expression. I so want to relive the 80’s with the technology we have now. That would create a humorous society that is affected by media.